Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Day 27

I spit in the tube for ancestry .com last year.  This was both a test of their DNA testing expertise and a test of my understanding of the Goslaw family history.  I don’t trust round numbers, when used they usually indicate an informed guess.  I want more.  The results of my DNA test came back saying that I am 60% English, Welsh and Scottish.  Great, that is the Spaulding ancestry on my mother’s side of the family.  This is no surprise.

Ancestry. com also said that my DNA showed I am 40% western European, close but no cigar!  I am a Polack, is Poland western or eastern European?  How do I know that my ancestors came to America from Poland?  My last name is Goslaw, which is also a small town in northwest Poland.  The Goslaw family or person migrated from Poland to Canada and America in the late 1800’s, there are some records of the Goslaw name in the Quebec area and grave sites in upstate New York but did the original migrants identify themselves by the name Goslaw?

The first adventures of my family to the new world probably had another Polish sounding name.  I’m guessing of course.  I would like to engage them or him in a conversation and ask, why did you make a name change in the new world, or did you?  Did the change make sense because another sir name would sound not so Polish?  Was the change intended to make getting along in the new world more comfortable because of the racial identifies of that era?

If this was your motive for the name change to Goslaw, then you caved to the negative racial attitudes of the time.  The change seems to us to be a denial of who you were and by extension, a denial of our family history.  The Polish people have a proud history, why weren't you proud of it?  I would like to have heard your response to that accusation, I’ll bet it would have stirred a fire in your belly.
 
Would you have shot back, ask me another question, why did I choose my hometown in Poland as my new sir name?

G.Goslaw
Landers, CA