Friday, January 18, 2019

Day 17


Off the beaten track is my preferred methodology.  In trucking it means that whenever possible, the less traveled roads were more enjoyable, at least sometimes.  Leaving the truck stop in Joplin Missouri at dusk on a very wet evening, I made a decision to run one of those winding two lane, unfamiliar roads.  Looking at the map forty years later, the logic of that decision to leave Interstate 44 and wander southeast was stupid as stupid does.  But, being who I am, the freedom to choose was and is an absolute in my life but it does get me into trouble more often than not.  I could never have been a company driver.  Anyway, this night was my most memorable road war story.
 
Memorable is probably the wrong word, it was memorable but terrifying would be more accurate.  The road was very wet and I was comfortable following the lights of that car about a half mile ahead.  The road was winding with many small hills that at times blocks its lights as it crested the next hill.  About an hour into our enjoyable ride, I crested one of those hills to see that car ahead approaching a bridge.  The brake lights of that car lite up and we both started slowing.  Nothing seemed unusual and I probably had my mind elsewhere but suddenly a synapse in my brain lit up.  Call it what you will, an adrenaline rush, fight or flight response, or whatever.  “That car is stopping!”. That stark reality began the most terrifying few minutes of my life.
 
I pulled the trailer brake first, without thinking.  The few words of my driver instructor must have penetrated to my subconscious.  He told us to brake the trailer first in a panic situation to make jackknifing less likely, but my trailer started coming around into the other lane anyway.  I released the brake and the trailer came back, foot brake on the tractor this time, again the trailer hydroplaned into the opposite lane.  Back and forth, trailer brake to foot brake, I was sliding all over the road, my control was marginal.  There was no time to think or consider alternatives, only react.
 
My fourteen wheels had slowed to the point of being able to lock them up.  Now the only question was whether stomping on all the brakes was enough to stop me before running into the back of that car.  It was a station wagon, with small kids in the back window, the car was still sitting there.  Oncoming trucks were crossing the bridge and she didn’t want to get splashed.  It was a woman driver!  There was no where else to go, oncoming traffic, no burn to the right, only bushes, the unknown darkness and most likely water.  Though I was applying the brake for all it was worth, we were getting closer and closer, I could see the panicked look on the faces of those kids in the back window.  Then the entire car disappeared below the window of my cab over truck.

My Mayflower rig had finally stopped inches from that car, bumper up against bumper.  There was a break in the oncoming truck traffic so she went merrily on her way, probably never knowing how close misfortune had been avoided.  I slumped over the wheel exhausted.  I have to watch my heart thee days but I know it was pounding that night in the Missouri hills.  Every recollection of those terrifying few minutes have asked me the question, would you have had the guts to put it in the drink, if there was no other choice?  I have no answer.

Thankfully, the question is irrelevant for somehow, the truck stopped.  At the time of these terrifying moments, saying thank you heavenward was admitting a lack of control but I have since learned better.  I had undeserved help.

G. Goslaw
Landers, CA