Saturday, January 12, 2019

Day 11

I remember when.  Forty-six years is long ago but some memories stay around.  The year was 1972 and I was kicked loose from the Navy as were thousands of others following the draw down from the jungle war.  Being single and looking for a supposed adventure, I decided to buy a truck and hit the road.  I knew as much about the trucking world as I did about the military when I joined up, it would seem that when your young and dumb, important decisions are a snap.  The draft board forced me into one decision and the other just seemed to be an available opportunity.

The company I choose taught me to drive a big rig in 1 ½ days, loading and unloading furniture in 2 days and all the paperwork in one.   One week and I was on the road by myself, running cross country in all weather conditions, a navigator without GPS, a business person without a secretary and dealing with the retail customer on practically a daily basis.  I didn’t have a clue and could only learn by trial and error.

The first year was a horror show financially, small loads scattered over hundreds of miles resulting in long hours and marginal income.  It was eight months before my monthly hauling statement included a check of any size.  Had I known the statistics of all the startups who quite the business in the first year, had I known the level of commitment required of we owner operators, I would have taken a long vacation on the beach.

No one was out to get me, like every other rookie, I was just a small dingy paddling in a very big ocean, so much to learn and so little time.  Faced with all the negatives of the first year, I had one of those rare life gut check, a decision to persevere.  I have come to understand such a decision is more valuable than money.  

G.Goslaw
Landers, CA