Saturday, May 29, 2010

Ms. Donna M. Beiter, R.N.,M.S.N.

Acting Director
Department of Veteran Affairs
Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
11301 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA. 90073

December 1, 2008

Dear Ms. Beiter:

Thank you for your letter of October 23, 2008. Eventually we would have a conversation, but my first correspondence was directed along the chain of command, whom I assume couldn’t be bothered. This is Thanksgiving time and at the outset I would like to express my gratitude for your health care services. You took the time to write me and that is very much appreciated.

Mr. Kevin Wright and the Patient Advocate Office, however, is a black hole of unresponsiveness, why would I want to communicate with your buffer? However, a few weeks ago a very helpful lady advocate in that office did help me procure copies of my various X-rays. The necessary confrontation in the radiology department was very heated but you and your personnel made it my only recourse. The machine wasn’t broken after all was it, thank you!

The message of your letter is very clear, you are circling the wagons. To that I would ask, why? Are you, that is the doctors and nursing supervisors, much to busy to communicate with your patient’s? Does the Congress provide inadequate funding so that its necessary to treat your patients in an obligatory manner? Or is the care I received an aberration, some individuals just “slip through the cracks” in every organization? Or are you hiding a negative consequence?

I can’t answer those questions but I too would like this to go away. Why was I doped up in the ICU for two weeks, that’s 14 days? An adequate explanation or an apology is the only way to end it. If I am wrong and your care was “timely and appropriate” as stated in your letter of 10-23, I will profusely apologize. My hope is that this is the final outcome. Possibly its my skeptical nature but no one has been willing to look me in the eye and speak with authority. Circling the wagons is your choice not mine.

My wish is that the L.A. Healthcare “system” have a wondrous holiday season and you have my thanks.

Sincerely,
Glen L. Goslaw
7983 SVL Box
Victorville, Ca. 92395