Thursday, October 25, 2012

Personal in 2012

America could care less how this obscure nobody is thinking about this 2012 national election.  Understanding this to be the case, I find it necessary to make this simple and hopefully clear statement about the current state of politics in America and the upcoming election.  This statement is not intended for all Americans,  these words are first for my children and grandchildren as they deal with the America of tomorrow.  The truth is that tomorrow’s America will be greatly and perhaps irrevocably influenced by this election, more so than any election in my lifetime.

My family is justifiably busy, growing up, finding a sense of self, getting an education and establishing an income pathway in these very difficult times.  I am very proud of each of you regardless of the choices you make but for your own good, please get involved in the political process.  Elections have consequences and if you choose not to participate, you will have no say in the America of the future.  Your vote may not control the outcome of the election or the direction of the country but it just might.  In any event, the vote makes the individual a participant in the national destiny regardless of who seems to win in the moment.  Your own self esteem should be enough to encourage you to be a political participant rather than a spectator and a political victim.

The choice in this election has been obvious to all for many months.  Who do you trust with your national and personal futures?  Should we stick with the status quo, ever larger government, no financial accountability, a stagnant economy, the Democrats and President Obama?  Or, should we give the Republicans and Mitt Romney at chance to return the country to it’s historical free enterprise American economy that utilizes to a greater degree the energy of the individual?  This is the decision we as a country will be making in a few days.

If you and yours have had to shoulder less pain than most of us over the last four or five years, then vote for Obama.  If the stimulus spending temporarily cushioned the pain and you want to be taken care of again in the next four years, vote for Obama.  If big government with it’s many layers of government jobs, governmental unions, bail-outs and entitlements provides for you and yours, then vote for Obama.  If you are comfortable with this dependent lifestyle then voting for Obama is a no-brainer.  Sadly, approximately half of America is so inclined.

Family, I shall not rehash why I believe Romney’s direction for the country is the best choice.  I have made my own way in life treasuring the opportunity to control my own destiny irrespective of the meddlers.  Individual freedom is the only good reason to be an American.  I have gone down a number of paths, worked very hard most of the time and struck out most of the time.  My days have not been that rags to riches success story that is so often glorified in the media and hinted to be the American norm.  However, I shall always treasure having had the freedom to choose my own destiny.  At this time in my life my days are quite simple and enjoyable.  Social security has made my retirement possible and I am thankful for this program that I paid into all of my life.  Social security is not governmental charity.

Freedom’s choice is not the principle reason to now make a political change.  To this voter, the election campaign and recent eventful circumstances have exposed a lack of moral integrity in the man, Barack Obama, our President.  It has become increasingly obvious that he and his Democratic cohorts will disparage, deceive, distort and lie about anything, everything and everyone, if it is politically expedient.  I cannot vote for, proudly support or follow the habitual liar that he has proved himself to be.  This realization about his character is indeed heartbreaking.  Four years ago I was suckered by the hope and change rhetoric and really wanted him to succeed, only to be increasingly disappointed over the last four years.  The Libya events, like unto an abortion, are the final proof of the moral bankruptcy of this current administration.

Knowing that America may not agree with this evaluation is the most disappointing fact of this election season.  We could cease  to be America!

G.Goslaw
Landers, Ca