Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Hate


I hate flies!  I have no wish to disparage any of the other great issues of mankind but the only way to deal with the fly scourge is to smash them one at a time.  This is tedious but somehow rewarding work.  When written on the printed page this truth sounds so petty, so juvenile and so emotionally unbalanced.  Yet, I must confess to wanting the fly species to be annihilated from this earthly gene pool.  They gather around Hammer’s food dish and then somehow find there way into the house.  Should I feel this way about the little devils?

Hate is an appropriate word in the instance of the fly, at least for me. We are instructed not to hate other races, other religions, our neighbors, dogs and cats, our jobs or lack thereof, the Giants or the bullies in life. Most of the time it is not difficult to keep these issues on a dislike list but to hate a fly?  Wow, there must be something wrong with me, do you suppose?  After all, is not the fly a part of God’s created order, is there not a form and a function for the fly in this world?  How can I hate what God has placed before us?  It is a good guess that the fly was into all kinds of good stuff, including dinosaur dung, long before we humans walked on this earth.  How can I hate what God wills?

But I do.

G.Goslaw
Landers, Ca