Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Safe Space

This is a monumental day, August 20, 2024. While reading a book from a biblical scholar, which I am not, it dawned on me that at least one authority and I have found agreement about God. I gave out a yelp of joy. I will not name names for my endorsement matters little and is the kiss of death in the greater truth-seeking world.  However, I can now stop buying books, which I cannot afford anyway. Thank you, whomever.

There is no cosmic disciplinarian God (my own phrasing). However, I do remain confused about the seeming total absence of an apocalyptic God.  We can do away with end times preaching on this subject but is there not space for a God reordering in this world of ours?  Is there not room for unsolicited God interventions among us?

It seems to this neophyte to be necessary or why believe in God? Should we believe that God did his or her thing and then left this world to fend for itself? How absent is absent? From my own intuitive understanding of God as given to me, the all and the rare interventions are completed through the earthly God Code (my own phrasing).  Our world was ordered from the beginning to include this possibility at divine discretion.

Then there is the eternity awaiting all of us at death, not a worldly destruction but an eternal reordering that can best be described as apocalyptic. The question yet to be determined is what will eternity bring to us?  Some say, an ever-compacting unity that is at least a never-ending joyride.

G. Goslaw

Landers, Ca.