Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Day 52

Looking back from my recliner, how could I have been so young and dumb?  The big issues are water under the bridge but it is the little youthful dumb moves that nag at me.  For instance, my first flight in a small plane.  I have never been good at accepting advice but when my Navy pilot training buddies advised, take a barf bag up on your first flight, I consciously or not, refused to listen.  A barf bag is for sissies!

Wrong oh, bobo, is the reality I soon experienced.  The instructors took advantage of the first familiarization flight to do a little dog fighting with other instructors in the T-34.  We newbies would be just sitting passively in the front seat taking the g’s and this newbie was getting dog sick.  That feeling of being on the edge of barfdom was and is the worst feeling known to man or woman.

The feeling reminded me of our childhood cross country trips to see relatives in California.  The family Buick was the pastor’s Cadillac and my father and mother put a lot of miles on a succession of Buicks.  We kids were contained in the back seat but after a succession of accidents, Mom went to the back seat and I got to think about something other than being sick from the front seat. It seemed to work for the most part.

Back to the T-34, everything was in my throat.  In desperation at the last split second, without thinking and with sweat running down my forehead, I unzipped my flight jacket and relieved myself, immediately zipping the zipper back up.  My instructor must have smelled the situation, expecting a mess in his plane.  He could then have fun at the expense of this newbie by ordering a cleanup.  I am sure that was the plan but I fooled him, we shook hands and I thanked him for the flight, admitting nothing.

I look back on this experience with almost a sense of pride but now have accepted the fact that most of my decisions in my youth were sadly deficient.  I seemed to be floating through life letting others be in control of my future without a passionate goal to which I could order and give myself too.  

Would that someone, at a critical moment, had sat me down and tried at least to wake me up.  No telling if I would have listened but my life would have been more pleasant, had I.

G.Goslaw
Landers, CA