Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Meaning?

Did you ever buy a book only because you were intrigued by the title? Without knowing the author or his motivations for writing, I purchased, “The Trouble with Being Born”, by E. M. Cioran, published in 1973.  Yes, a philosophy book written in my life time! 

Turns out that Mr. Cioran was a life long nihilist philosopher meaning that he believed that there is no meaning to existence in this world. This guy is a nihilist on steroids.  For him, being born is the ultimate injustice, “the victim” has no say as to who, what, when and where. This is what has bothered me, being born appears to be total random uncertainty. How does anyone, including God, make sense of the millions of uncertainties within a single birth?  

I shall leave you with a quote from page15. “I do not forgive myself for being born.  It is as if, creeping into this world, I had profaned a mystery, betraying some momentous pledge, committed a fault of nameless gravity.  Yet in a less assured mood, birth seems a calamity I would be miserable not having known.” 

G. Goslaw

Landers, Ca