Sunday, October 24, 2021

Spiritual Freedom

 All of us have had tunes buzzing around in our heads for days or months, they just seem to linger.  My head gets tunes with perfect melody’s but when they come out of my mouth, not so much.  I was gifted with at least one gene from my father.  The tune, “Open my Eyes, that I Might See”, has been banging around in my head for months.  Being a committed dunderhead that I am, I finally had to look up the lyrics as given to you in the preceding post.  

The personal faith expressed by Clara H. Scott in 1895 is the same faith that inspired the fire of the Reformation, three hundred years earlier.  As we all know every fire will burn itself out as did the Reformation which quickly cooled as the movement descended into petty partisan religious politics.  As the twentieth century and the spirit of Clara H. Scott broke upon us, a new fire was ignited in America which some have named the Evangelical Movement.  Our country, as did others, experienced revival fires as individual people became seekers of spiritual truth in an atmosphere of freedom but the camp meetings and street evangelism also cooled as the Great Depression and World Wars distracted the faithful.

The power of every establishment to influence the affairs of humankind cannot be understated.  Through the twentieth century spiritual freedom has been progressively replaced by religious orthodoxy. All spiritual fires are extinguished when the people are told what to believe and to think about God, Jesus in particular.  Jesus did not have the DNA of God because he was and is the appointed messenger of God who preached and is calling all of us to the homeland of eternity.

G. Goslaw

Landers, CA