Friday, October 6, 2023

Wondering

Without mental or emotional assent, my gut goal in life has been to understand. I did not choose this goal, I now know, after 78 years of living, that the need to understand is a part of who I am. All the luck, the knowing need is just as much a life curse as it is a personality trait. Normal life should have goals like wealth, power and prestige, the goal of scoring the winning touchdown. These needs are easily digested, they are socially relevant in almost every culture, yet, this guy needs to figure it all out.

Am I somehow special? Is the path that I have trod through life unique? No way, every one of us has the need to understand or explain our existence. Most of the time, most of us muddle along through life burying this need as deep as one can dig. Survival needs, making the mortgage every month or running after the approval of another person or community of thought, all bury the personal need to know. 

Let’s get on with living, some say, because wondering is wandering.

G. Goslaw

Landers, Ca