Monday, January 2, 2023

Twenty three

Welcome to 2023.  This is a new year that has brought a new beginning to us all, a beginning that is full of new expectations, whether we deserve this newness or not.  My life in retirement is simple, my house, my dogs, my trees and my blog.  For the last fourteen years I have shared some of my hard-fought understandings of the Bible and American politics on my blog, ggoslaw.blogspot.com. 

Blogging has been a learning experience.  I am not an accomplished political writer nor a creditable biblical theologian, no degrees and no allies to quote.  I am a reprobate, a profound sinner who is just trying to separate fact from fiction.  My most important discovery while learning some of the history of both politics and religion is that both are awash is seemingly never-ending confusion dumped on us by those who make groundless assumptions.  Most, if not all, historical attempts to bring clarity just seem to further muddy the water.  The assumptions are the real target.

Both the Bible and in American politics, if you don’t know your history, you are doomed to repeat the egregious errors of the past.  Generally, we the people are ignorant of both our factual American history and the history of the Christian Church.  America is supposed to the land of the free.  Are we free?  Maybe we are, maybe not.  The Church is supposed to be biblically based.  Maybe it is, maybe not.  We the people just tend to swallow whatever is fed to us.  Because we don't know our history, we do not have the facts to make a just judgement and confusion reigns.

This is not a slam on the intellectual prowess of the people.  There was a time in my life when the swallowing was the only viable option, after all, there are jobs to perform, finances to manage and families to raise, who has the time?  Who has the time to ask questions?  I am extremely grateful that now God has given me the time to ask questions because questions are a delight.

G.Goslaw

Landers, CA